Friday, January 11, 2008

Politics

I have been trying to follow both parties in the race to the White House but I have to admit I've been paying more attention to the democrats.

I think it’s going to be a fight to the finish for the Republican candidates. It could get ugly (or should I say uglier). I don’t like Huckabee or Romney (too self-righteous and too slick). Either McCain or Giuliani would be better than Bush if we had to have a Republican.

As for the Democrats, looks like that one’s going to be a close call too. At this point I like Clinton for the job.

The more I hear about Obama, the more I realize that he's not the stand-up guy he would have us believe:

  • The shady business with his house (I think there’s even more to the story).
  • He claimed he would have no lobbyists in his campaign but the guy RUNNING his campaign in New Hampshire is a pharmaceutical lobbyist.
  • In the debate on Saturday he bragged about a measure that he helped create to bar politicians from accepting meals from lobbyists. However, the law allows lobbyists to buy meals & drinks for a politician as long as he/she is standing up. I understand you have to make baby steps to get something accomplished but come on...

He says he’s different from other politicians, but he tells half-truths about what he has accomplished, makes promises he doesn’t keep, and obviously is interested in whatever he can get out of this for himself. Sounds pretty much status quo to me.

And if I hear the term "agent of change" one more time, I'm going puke (although I do think it would be a good name for a rock band).

It doesn’t seem that Edwards has the momentum to win the nomination. He seems a little slick too. I think that $300 haircut may have done him in. Maybe he’s too pretty -- maybe the American people want an ugly president. I do think it was pretty crappy for Kerry to publicly endorse Obama after Kerry & Edwards ran together in the last election.

Whatever happens I hope the citizens of the U.S. go into the primary and the general election with their eyes wide open (unlike the last presidential election).