Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kiva & Pottery again

Have you heard of Kiva? Kiva is in the microlending business. I think it’s a great way for ordinary people to help others in a direct and meaningful, without a huge investment. Check it out.

Well it was back to pottery class this week. It's my first time taking the intermediate class. It's only been about 5-6 weeks since my last class but I almost felt like I was starting over. I couldn't even get my clay centered on the wheel! Boy, did I feel like a dummy.

I don't know what it is about this clay, I guess it's much more firm than the recycled clay I used for so long. I haven't quite figured out yet what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm not exerting enough pressure? Ron is a good teacher; he was very patient and helpful. I hope he doesn't demote me back to the beginning class. I did manage to make two medium-sized bowls.

It's a big class - 11 people, I think Ron said. I haven't met everyone yet but they seem like a great group. There are some very skilled potters in my class. I'm gonna try not to sit next to any of them.