Thursday, January 03, 2008

2008

Well, here it is... 2008 (I'll refrain from making some lame, old-guy comment about my perception of the passage of time).

Whether or not you are a person who likes to make NY resolutions, most of us have the urge to look back at what we've accomplished (or not) and to look ahead to what we might like to do in the coming year. It's just one of those mini-milestone moments (like birthdays), that inspire introspection.

They say that the unexamined life is not worth living, so go ahead, examine. If you're so inclined, here's a link to a horoscope website from Mary Anna: 2008 Horoscopes. Mine was pretty heavy, I'll have to ponder & meditate on it for a spell before I can become one with it.

Anyway, here are some of my random thoughts/goals for the coming year:

Pottery: Practice makes perfect. Well, I don't have THAT much free time, but I'd like to make a decent mug with a handle. I want to learn more about surface decoration; then I might like to try my hand at making a plate & a pitcher.

Music: It's been a while since I've stretched my musical legs - I'd like to explore some new artists, stations, venues, maybe even genres. I haven't been to the symphony in some time; I'd like to do that. Maybe even try out an opera.

Art: Take time to appreciate other forms of art (in addition to pottery & music).

Reading: I love to read, but somehow never seem to make the time these days. I have a pile of books on my bedside table that I've been intending to read. Would like to read those and more.

Work: Do something interesting at work. Shake things up this year.

Family: Take time to savor every possible moment with my family. Not that I don't treasure every moment with them now, but we can always do better. More adult time with Debi and more play time with the kids.

Food & Health: Debi and I have made a pretty good start at eating better and in general trying to be healthier. I'd like to continue that trend. I should drink more water (but not from plastic bottles).

Multi-media: We've been putting this off for so long, maybe if I put it in writing, it will embarrass me into finally doing it... we bought the hardware & software to digitize all of our home movies and photos, taught ourselves how to do it all and we still haven't done it yet. I would REALLY like to accomplish that this year.

Politics: Like Jen, I would like to see us elect a president who will govern with intelligence, dignity, patience, compassion and understanding. A tall order, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Football: I would like to see the Dolphins at least have a winning season next year. I desperately do not want the Patriots to win the Superbowl this year (or pretty much any year).

Here's to a good 2008 for us all!