Friday, October 12, 2007

Selling Pots Online?

I am taking the day off from work today (a little birthday present for myself) and one of the things I'm doing with my day is putzing around the internet, looking at various art/pottery stuff. The sheer volume of information on any one topic available on the internet still amazes me. I could make a full-time job out of reading pottery blogs and visiting potters' websites & online galleries. Anybody willing to pay me to do that?

Anyway, one of the artists I visited was selling her stuff on this website called Etsy (Etsy sounds like a nickname for Etta Belle) -- "your place to buy & sell all things handmade." It looks like a pretty cool place to sell stuff online without having to go through the hassles of setting up your own online store.

Seems better than eBay because it's not an auction (you set the price) and people who shop on Etsy are obviously looking for quality, handmade items. Also seems like it would expose your work to a lot of potential new customers.

They give you your own web address. You can customize your Etsy page so it has the look & feel you want (presumably you could make it match your website/blog so the transition from one to the other is seamless). There's no charge for setting up the website, I think you just pay for the items you list.

Anyway, if you've wanted to try selling some of your pots (or other handmade items) online, but didn't know where to start - maybe this is a good place.

Here's the link to Etsy's homepage:
http://www.etsy.com/index.php.

Here'a a link to one artist's Etsy store that I was checking out: www.oneblackbird.etsy.com.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone decides to give it a try. Let me know.

Geez, I sound like a commercial for Etsy, don't I? Maybe they should pay me a commission.