Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Can a klutz be a potter?

I was busy with other things (trimming, glazing, etc) in pottery class last week & didn't get to throw anything, so I went in on Saturday morning to throw some bowls. My "assignment" from Julie was to throw some bowls that were uniform in size and shape. I laughed out loud and then said of course, I'll give it a shot.

So I did. My results were not great. So here are my excuses: I was working with a new clay, which seemed quite different to work with. Julie said I was ready to upgrade from the recycled clay. Oddly I felt less pressure with the good ole' recycled clay. My other excuse is that I was working in different room. The kids’ class was in the room where I usually work so I couldn't use my favorite wheel. Apparently the combination of the new clay and a different room & wheel completely threw off my mojo.

I glazed some stuff and threw two bowls in class last night. I tried a different shape. They were interesting, but still not great. Someone else was using my wheel, so I had to use a different wheel again. And that new clay was still giving me trouble.

I am not usually a person who resists change. As a rule I embrace it. Apparently that does not apply to pottery.

I wonder if it matters that I am a completely uncoordinated, confused-ambidextrous klutz? Can a klutz be a potter?

Pottery is so different from anything else I've ever done. All of my jobs have involved processes, analysis and quantifiable results with measurable timetables. I have had my creative tendencies through the years, but the analytical part of me has kept a pretty tight rein on the creative part apparently.

So I find myself getting frustrated with pottery at times. I don't know if I'm really getting it. I don't know if I'm wasting my time. If someone would just tell me, it will take XX months for you to really get the hang of it... that would be great. I know it doesn't work that way, but I want it to.

I guess I just hate being so completely new and inept at something. I suppose it's probably good to try new things as you get older - you know, keep the mind fresh and all that.