Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Politics on my porch

We were knocking around the house on Saturday morning just after finishing breakfast when there comes a knock at the door. Most of the time when someone knocks on our door it’s either someone from a local church trying to “save” us, a kid selling magazine subscriptions or candy bars or someone offering to paint our house number on the curb, mow our lawn, cut down a tree, or pressure wash my house. In short, when someone comes a knockin’ it’s usually a hassle, so I immediately went into smart-ass mode.

I go to the door and peek out the little window to see two guys on my front porch. The big guy was wearing an Obama/Biden shirt; the little guy was wearing a Pete Skidmore shirt (dem candidate for Coroner in York County). I was quite surprised. South Carolina is a confirmed red state, isn’t it?? It’s not even on the list of possible swing states, right?

In that instant before I opened the door, I thought to myself “I wonder how well received they’ve been…” As I said, I was already in smart-ass mode, so when I opened the door…

I stepped out onto the porch, and asked what they wanted. The guy with the Obama/Biden shirt immediately launches into his spiel. I tell him to hold on a sec. I open the front door, and yell inside: “Honey, get my gun, there’s some democrats on the front porch!!”

The color immediately drained from both their faces. I think the little guy may have soiled himself.

We had a good laugh about it. They were glad I was kidding and I thanked them for fighting the good fight even against seemingly insurmountable odds.

It really helps to have a sense of humor when it comes to politics.