Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Why parents are sappy...

What started as a diversion has now become a family tradition. It was the first year that my wife and I were decorating the Christmas tree with our 2-year old daughter, Isabel. She was racing around the room in excitement, knocking things over and stepping on lights. We realized we needed to distract her, so I asked her to help me unpack our special ornaments. As we unwrapped each one, I told Isabel that ornament’s story. Surprisingly, she listened intently as I talked about the special memory associated with each one. She loved every ornament more than the one before. We finished decorating the tree then it was bedtime for Isabel. I gave her a hug & kiss and said goodnight and she went off to bed with Mommy. Halfway down the hall, she stopped, slipped her hand out of Debi’s and ran back to the living room. She stood on her tiptoes and gave me a kiss on the cheek and said “thank you for all my presents Daddy!”