Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back to school

Isabel starts 1st grade today. Amelia will be starting school (4k) next week. I wonder if the first day of school will seem like such a huge milestone every year. I am filled with pride and worry. Maybe I'll write a book and call it Pride and Worry (move over Jane Austen). It would resonate with all parents and become a huge best seller.

We met Amelia's teachers on Monday. The seem very nice and capable. They assured me they will take good care of my baby. Amelia is very excited about starting school. Mommy is very excited to have a couple of hours of peace and quiet every day.

We attended open house yesterday at Isabel's school. We met her teacher. She is a new teacher (just finished her internship last year); I'm looking at the silver lining - at least she's not all cynical and jaded. Isabel has a two or three classmates from kindergarten in her class this year; it was nice for the kids to see some familiar faces.

I took the day off from work to attend the open house and hang out with the kids before school starts (last year I took the whole week off). We didn't do anything major (we were afraid of melting in the heat) but I did enjoy spending a day with them. The highlights of the day were meeting Isabel's new teacher, getting an incredible deal on some new sneakers and playing the Picnic Game (thanks to CS and H2) with the girls.

It was a good day.