Tuesday, June 26, 2007

At first I could not climb

"One day I went to the mountain alone. At first I could not climb; I lay flat on my face on the slope with the sensation that I was being completely absorbed by the earth. When I took the first steps up the slope, I had the physical sensation of walking with tremendous effort in some matter as thick as mud. Gradually, however, it all became easier, and in a few days I was able to negotiate jumps. I could climb vertical walls as easily as any goat. I very seldom got hurt, and I realized the possibility of a very subtle understanding, which I had not perceived before. Finally, I managed to take no false steps and to wander around quite easily among the rocks."
—Leonora Carrington


I stumbled upon this when looking up Mary Anna's quote -- the source said it addresses "getting stuck and pushing forward in artmaking." I agree this is an excellent metaphor for overcoming artist's block; it could just as easily describe tackling any task which at first seems insurmountable.